Title and statement of responsibility area
Women's Missionary Society
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
The subseries contains source material on the activities, the finances, and the membership of the Auxiliary from 1908 to 1977. It comprises the following files: Minutes (1908-1977), Account Books (1926-1930), and Reports (1948-1977).
The Women's Missionary Society, known at this time as the Women's Foreign Missionary Society, was organized in 1904 in Danville. In 1913, it became the Federated Women's Missionary Society, consisting of women from both the Congregational and the Presbyterian Churches. It was disbanded in June 1925, when the Presbyterian women refused to join the United Church of Canada. In October 1925, a new auxiliary of the Women's Missionary Society was organized in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Danville-Asbestos; it was disbanded in September 1977. As stated in the constitution and by-laws of the Women's Missionary Society, the Auxiliary's mandate was to unite the women, girls, and children of the Church in prayer, study and service for the advancement of the Kingdom of God at home and abroad (art. II). The Auxiliary reported to the Quebec Presbyterial Society in the Synodical Society of Montreal/Ottawa of the Women's Missionary Society, Western Division of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. By-law 2 stated :' The Auxiliary shall meet regularly during the year for the purpose of becoming informed about the Society's work at home and abroad and the total mission of the whole Church. There shall be a service of worship at each meeting. Each Auxiliary Secretary shall be responsible for preparing an accurate tabulated and written report, forwarding these to the corresponding Departmental Secretary of the Presbyterial not later than December 31st. The Auxiliary shall present a report of its work to the congregational Annual Meeting. The Officers shall be President, Vice-President or Vice-Presidents, Secretary, and Treasurer and other officers as may be deemed necessary. The term of the office of the President shall not exceed four consecutive years. The Executive of the Auxiliary shall consist of its elected officers. The Executive shall have power to transact business requiring attention between the regular meetings of the Auxiliary. It is the responsibility of the Executive to supervise the work of the various officers. Each Auxiliary shall forward all money contributed for mission work to the General Fund of the Society through the Presbyterial treasurer.'
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Subseries title transcribed from file classification plan established by the ETRC Archivist.
The documents are in English.