Title and statement of responsibility area
United Church of Abercorn fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,025 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
United Church of Abercorn, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized in 1870. The Methodists belonged to the Union Church Society of Abercorn and worshipped in the Union Church as well as the Methodists-New Connection, the Congregationalists, the Presbyterians, and the Baptists. The Methodist services were discontinued in the Union Church in 1924 and the members joined the Sutton congregation. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the remaining members of the Union Church Society of Abercorn decided to join the Union and formed the United Church of Abercorn. The church building was closed and sold to the Anglicans in 1955. United Church of Abercorn was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the Church management and the history of the church from 1870 to 1990. It consists of minutes, a deed of donation, and historical sketches. The fonds includes the following series: Church Boards (1901-1955), Buildings and Property (1870, 1955), and Historical ([194-?], 1990).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016