Fonds UC076 - United Church of Abercorn fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

United Church of Abercorn fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper:

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ETRC UC076

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1870-1990 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0,025 m of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

United Church of Abercorn, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized in 1870. The Methodists belonged to the Union Church Society of Abercorn and worshipped in the Union Church as well as the Methodists-New Connection, the Congregationalists, the Presbyterians, and the Baptists. The Methodist services were discontinued in the Union Church in 1924 and the members joined the Sutton congregation. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the remaining members of the Union Church Society of Abercorn decided to join the Union and formed the United Church of Abercorn. The church building was closed and sold to the Anglicans in 1955. United Church of Abercorn was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains source material on the Church management and the history of the church from 1870 to 1990. It consists of minutes, a deed of donation, and historical sketches. The fonds includes the following series: Church Boards (1901-1955), Buildings and Property (1870, 1955), and Historical ([194-?], 1990).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No more accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

1 février, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres