United Church of Abercorn (Abercorn, Que.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

United Church of Abercorn (Abercorn, Que.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

United Church of Abercorn, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized in 1870. The Methodists belonged to the Union Church Society of Abercorn and worshipped in the Union Church as well as the Methodists-New Connection, the Congregationalists, the Presbyterians, and the Baptists. The Methodist services were discontinued in the Union Church in 1924 and the members joined the Sutton congregation. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the remaining members of the Union Church Society of Abercorn decided to join the Union and formed the United Church of Abercorn. The church building was closed and sold to the Anglicans in 1955. United Church of Abercorn was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places