Fonds UC020 - Trinity United Church (Danville-Asbestos) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Trinity United Church (Danville-Asbestos) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper:

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA E001 UC020

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1832-1995, 2017 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0,49 m of textual records. - 16 photographs. - 1 plan. - 4 postcards.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Trinity United Church in Danville-Asbestos, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1832 by Rev. Ammi Parker. It was the first Congregational Church established in the Eastern Townships. The first church was built around 1836 and was replaced by a new one in 1875. In 1912, the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in Danville decided to unite and form a Federated Church. The Methodist Church, established in 1860 and sometimes known as the Danville Methodist Circuit, worked closely with the Federated Church. The circuit included the Townships of Shipton, Wotton, Cleveland, Warwick, Kingsey and Durham. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Federated and the Methodist Churches, in Danville joined the Union to form Trinity United Church. Trinity United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec-Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Board of Trustees, the Official Board and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School and the United Church Women.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains source material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, the Sunday School and the United Church Women for the Trinity United Church in Danville-Asbestos from 1834 to 2017. It consists mainly of registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials; minutes; annual reports; registers of members; correspondence; and church histories. It also includes minutes from the Sproule Methodist Church in Kingsey, annual reports pertaining to the Danville-Asbestos-Ulverton-South Durham Pastoral Charge, and a register of baptisms, marriages and burials from the Danville Methodist Circuit. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1832-1994), Buildings and Property (1839-1947), Annual Reports (1888-1995, 2017), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1834-[After 1950]), Orders of Service ([between 1901 and 1908], 1978-1990), Membership (1832-1950), Historical ([1866?]-1913, 1969-1982), Organizations (1892-1968), Photographs ([188-?]-1989), and Press Clippings (1867-1992).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The registers of baptisms, marriages and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. A second accession was transferred to the Archives in 1995.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

1 février, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres