Title and statement of responsibility area
Tomifobia Women's Institute fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,1 m of textual records. - 1 photograph.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Tomifobia Women's Institute was founded in 1919. Until 1920, it was called the Tomifobia Homemakers' Club. Like the other Women's Institutes, whose motto is 'For Home and Country', this one was concerned with family in rural regions. The Tomifobia Women's Institute was a member of the Stanstead County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Delegates attended the annual meetings of these organizations. Locally, an elected board of directors worked with various committees (Agriculture, Canadian Industries, Child Welfare, Education, Home Economics, Immigration, Legislation, National Events, and Publicity) to organize monthly meetings and activities. The latter included lectures, school fairs, and fund raising events (food and card sales, suppers, etc.) in aid of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Save the Children Fund, and local schools and hospitals. After 48 years of activity, the Tomifobia Women's Institute was disbanded in 1968.
The records were kept for many years at Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. They were transferred to the Eastern Townships Research Centre at Bishop's University in 1996 by the Stanstead County Women's Institutes.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the organization and the activities of the Tomifobia Women's Institute from 1919 to 1968. It is comprised of the following series: History ([193-?]), Minutes (1919-1968), Treasurer's Book (1964-1967), Annual Reports ([196-?]), and Miscellaneous Documents ([1946?]-1968). In the last series, there are the programmes of activity of each Women's Institute member of the Stanstead County Women's Institutes for 1965-1966.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Belvidere Women's Institute fonds (P003), the Denison Mills Women's Institute fonds (P007), the Brompton Road Women's Institute fonds (P008), the Lennoxville Women's Institute fonds (P025), the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes fonds (P027), the Ascot Women's Institute fonds (P100), the Way's Mills Women's Institute fonds (P105), the Minton Women's Institute fonds (P106), and the Beebe Women's Institute fonds (P107).
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016