Thetford Mines United Church (Thetford Mines, Que.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Thetford Mines United Church (Thetford Mines, Que.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Thetford Mines United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized in 1905. The services were first held in a schoolhouse. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the Methodist Church at Thetford Mines decided to join the Union. From 1908 to 1957, the congregation used a repurposed railway station as its meeting place. In 1957, a first church building was erected. The Thetford Mines United Church was part of the Kinnear's Mills-Thetford Mines Pastoral Charge from 1950 to 1982 and since 1982 of the Kinnear's Mills-Inverness-Thetford Mines Pastoral Charge. Due to dwindling number, the congregation decided to put the building up for sale in 2015, still meeting instead at the local funeral home. Thetford Mines United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Congregation.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places