Title and statement of responsibility area
Thetford Mines United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA E001 UC066
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.39 l.m. of textual records. - 1 photograph : col. - 19 architectural plans.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Thetford Mines United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized in 1905. The services were first held in a schoolhouse. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the Methodist Church at Thetford Mines decided to join the Union. From 1908 to 1957, the congregation used a repurposed railway station as its meeting place. In 1957, a first church building was erected. The Thetford Mines United Church was part of the Kinnear's Mills-Thetford Mines Pastoral Charge from 1950 to 1982 and since 1982 of the Kinnear's Mills-Inverness-Thetford Mines Pastoral Charge. Due to dwindling number, the congregation decided to put the building up for sale in 2015, still meeting instead at the local funeral home. Thetford Mines United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Congregation.
Scope and content
The fonds contains primary source information on Church management and the congregation's affairs from 1905 to 2010. It also provides information on Kinnear's Mills-Thetford Mines Pastoral Charge and Reid's United Church. It consists mainly of minutes, financial statements, account books, correspondence, annual reports, a register of baptisms, marriages, and burials, historical sketches, a circuit register, and membership lists. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1923-2005), Buildings and Property (1957-1963, 1980-1981), Financial Resources (1931-2001), Banns/Marriage Certificates (1951-1963, 1990-1994), Annual Reports (1962, 1978, 1990-2006), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1905-1962), Orders of Service (1981), Funds (1976), Membership (1908-1992), Historical (1967, 1985-1987), Organizations ([193-?]-2010), Committees (1981-1987).
Immediate source of acquisition
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The documents are in English, except two in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
New material to the fonds was processed and described by Jazmine Aldrich, archival technician, in 2018 courtesy of funding received from Canadian Heritage.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016