Title and statement of responsibility area
Stanstead South United Church (Rock Island) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA ETRC UC039
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.62 l.m. of textual records. - 1 postcard. - 6 photographs : col./ b&w.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Stanstead South United Church in Rock Island, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1816; it was then called the Congregational Church of Stanstead. Some years later, it was renamed Stanstead South Congregational Church. From 1816 to 1828, the Congregationalists worshipped with the Methodists, the Episcopalians, and the Baptists in the so-called Union Meeting House in North Plain. In 1829, the Congregationalists decided to erect their own church. The present church is the second building; it was erected in 1876. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Stanstead South Congregational Church in Rock Island decided to the join the Union. Stanstead South United Church is part of the United Steeples Pastoral Charge, which also includes Centenary United Church (Stanstead), Wesley United Church (Beebe) and Graniteville United Church. Stanstead South United Church in Rock Island is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Session and the Congregation in cooperation with organizations within the Church, such as the Helping Circle and the Boy Scouts troop.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source of material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, and Church organizations for the Stanstead South United Church in Rock Island from 1842 to 2016. It consists mainly of minutes, constituent documents, by-laws, charter, annual reports, historical sketches, a postcard, and press clippings. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1912-2012), Buildings and Property (1886-2016), Annual Reports (1977-1978), Historical (1842-2016), Organizations (1915-1999), Guests Books (1960-1969) Photographs (1920, [1988?]), Miscellaneous ([195-?] and after) .
Immediate source of acquisition
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Most of the documents are in English, some in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
No further accruals are expected.
New accruals to the fonds were processed and described by Justin Gobeil, archival technician, in 2020 courtesy of funding received from Canadian Heritage.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016