Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Luke's Presbyterian Church (Hampden) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1870-[196-?]; predominant 1900-1936 (Creation)
Physical description area
0.13 l.m. of textual records. - 1 photograph.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Luke's Presbyterian Church in Hampden was organized in 1876, as a result of the expansion of the Scottish settlements to Springhill and Milan by the 1870s. Prior to that, people from Hampden belonged to St. John's Presbyterian Church in Winslow (Hampden and Winslow congregation). In 1917, a split in St. Luke's Presbyterian Church resulted in the formation of Bethany Presbyterian Church in Milan. The two churches then formed one congregation, but each had their own Board of Managers. When the union of Methodists, Congregationalists, and Presbyterians took place in 1925, St. Luke's Presbyterian Church remained Presbyterian. In 1944, the Church was closed and the building was sold to the Archidiocèse de Sherbrooke de l'Église catholique, which moved it to Island Brook. St. Luke's Presbyterian Church was under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church is governed by the congregation and the church's courts (board of managers and session) in co-operation with committees, societies, and organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School and the Women's Missionary Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management and the congregation's affairs from 1870 to the 1960s. It consists mainly of registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials; minute books; accounting books; and reports. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Vital Statistics (1877-1936), Congregation ([196-?]), Board of Managers (1898-1943), Photographs (188-?]), and Miscellaneous Documents (1870-[194-?]).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The following finding aid is available: Catalogue to the St. Luke's Presbyterian Church (Hampden) fonds (PC005), compiled by Sylvie Côté, 1998.
Researchers may also consult the St. John's Presbyterian Church (Winslow) fonds (file PC004/001/001) and the Bethany Presbyterian Church (Milan) fonds (files PC006/001/001, PC006/002/001 PC006/002/002).
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was loaned in 1996 for 50 years by the Presbytery of Quebec of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
The classification of the fonds is based on the file classification plan established by Sylvie Côté, ETRC Archivist, for local Presbyterian Church records. Individual churches do not all have records falling in each of the system's prearranged series, subseries, and files. This fonds is an example, as it comprises only five series out of a possible nine.
The documents are in English, except for one in Gaelic.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016