St. Helen's School (Dunham, Que.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St. Helen's School (Dunham, Que.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The founding of St. Helen's School (as Dunham Ladies' College), by the Reverend Ashton Oxenden, Bishop of the Diocese of Montreal of the Church of England, dates to 1875, though it did not open its doors until 1878. Administered by a corporation composed of clergymen and lay people, Dunham Ladies' College encountered many financial problems and had to close from 1885 to 1888 and from 1890 to 1894. In 1913, with the College still facing financial difficulties, the Corporation leased it to the then principal, Miss Wade, at her request. Now under the management of a board of governors, Dunham Ladies' College was renamed St. Helen's School. In 1972, St. Helen's School was closed down after almost a century of existence.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places