Fonds P033 - St. George's Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. George's Club fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper:

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA E001 P033

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [1890?]-1983; predominant 1950-1980 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.81 m of textual records. - 3 photographs. - 6 plans. - 3 artefacts.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. George's Club was founded in Sherbrooke in 1890 to promote social relations among its members. Management was by the Executive Committee (President, Vice-President, and Secretary-Treasurer), the elected Board of Governors, and various committees. St. George's Club offered its members catering and accommodation services and the use of game and reading rooms. It was strictly prohibited to discuss politics and religion at the Club. It also organized activities such as concerts, lectures, banquets, and balls. Until the 1970s, women were not admitted to membership in the Club, though they could enter as guests. In 1914, a major fire destroyed the Club-House and the Club's records. The St. George's Club was disbanded in 1983.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains source material on the organization and operations of the St. George's Club in Sherbrooke in the 20th century, and in particular from 1950 to 1980. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Charter and By-laws (1937-1980), Minutes (1922-1981), Accounting and Financial Documents ([1914?]-1981), Titles ([1890?]-1960), Correspondence with the Members (1914-1981), Lists of Officers and Members ([1955?]-1981), Documents Related to the Club-House (1914-1975), Guests Registers (1925-1983), and Miscellaneous Documents (1915-1982).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No more accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was donated in two accessions (1985 and 1988) by a former member of the St. George's Club, V.W. Newton of Sherbrooke.
Most of the documents are in English, some in French.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

28 janvier, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres