Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,25 m of textual records. - 4 photographs : col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The creation of the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club stemmed from an interest among the Lennoxville population in the observation of the region's wildlife. Under the guidance of Dr. A. N. Langford, a Biology Professor at Bishop's University, the St. Francis-Massawippi Bird Club was formed in 1955. The Club's purpose is to foster the interest of the citizens in the wildlife and to educate them as to the ecomonic importance of proctecting wildlife. It aims to achieve this by encouraging the study of wildlife and its habitat, holding meetings, public lectures and exhibitions, publishing and distributing information, supporting the enforcement of existing laws for the protection of wildlife and furthering legislation to that end and promoting and assisting in the establishment of wildlife sanctuaries and owning and purchasing land. In 1970, the Club's name was changed to the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club.
Over the years, the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club has taken part in the preservation of nature parks across the province. In particular, the Club was essential in the establishment of the L'Île du Marais inc. and the Johnville Bog and Forest Park. In 2001, the Club started working with teachers in the Eastern Townships School Board to educate children about the environment and nature.
The St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club is still active.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the activities of the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club from 1955 to 2010. It consists mainly of minutes, annual reports, financial reports, the club history, field trips and bird count information, and photographs. The fond is comprised of the following series: Administration (1955-2009), Financial Resources (1965-1997), Activities (1963-2006), Memberships (1955-2010), Projects (1974-1999) and Public Relations (1979-1994).
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club in 2010 and by Ruby Robinson in 2019.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Most of the documents are in English, one is in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
New material processed by Justin Gobeil, archival technician, in 2020 courtesy of Canadian Heritage funding through Young Canada Works.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016