Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Andrew's United Church (Windsor) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC073
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,99 m of textual records. - 1 painting. - 2 photographs. - 2 architectural drawings.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew's United Church in Windsor is the result of the amalgamation of three churches. In 1859, a Presbyterian Church (Free Kirk) was organized in Lower Windsor. In 1867, a Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) and a Methodist Church were organized in Windsor Mills, which became one congregation in 1917. The new church was called the United Church of Windsor Mills. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the United Church of Windsor Mills and the Methodist Church in Lower Windsor joined the Union. The United Church of Windsor Mills was subsequently renamed St. Andrew's United Church. Lower Windsor United Church was destroyed by fire in 1956 and the congregation officially united with St. Andrew's United Church the following year. St. Andrew's United Church amalgamated with Richmond-Melbourne United Church in the 1990s. St. Andrew's United Church was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the history of St. Andrew's United Church in Windsor and its three founding churches. It consists of, minutes, registers, historical sketches, a photograph of the Lower Windsor Church (1859), and a painting of the first Methodist Church in Windsor Mills, built on the corner of Main and St. George Streets ([19-?]). The fonds is comprised the following series: Church Boards (1867-1984), Financial (1899-1980), Banns/Marriage Certificates (1952-1964), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1876-1981), Membership ([1867?]-1942), Historical (1906, 1949-1991), Organizations (1907-1964), Prints, Paintings, Drawings ([19-?] -1954), and Photographs (1859-[between 1936 and 1950).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult Richmond and Melbourne United Church (Richmond) fonds (UC074), and St. Andrew's United Church (Kingsbury) fonds (UC080).
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016