Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Andrew's United Church (Inverness) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC054
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,06 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Andrew's United Church in Inverness, initially called Inverness Methodist Church was organized during the 1830s. In 1832, the first meeting house was built. In 1962, a church was built at the extreme West end of the village. Inverness Methodist Church was part of the Inverness Circuit, which includes the mission of Upper Ireland, Lower Ireland, Leeds, New Ireland, Kinnear's Mills, Belcher Range, Walsh's Mills, Hamilton Range, and Adderly. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the Inverness Methodist Church decided to join the Union. In 1945, the Presbyterian and United Church congregations in Inverness joined together for worship, becoming the first congregations in Canada to co-operate in such a manner. St. Andrew's United Church and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church have put in place a share ministry since 1960. In 1960, Inverness United Church sold its church building as a means of alleviating the cost of maintaining two buildings, as both congregations -- the Presbyterian and United Church -- worship together. Worship was to now take place a St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Inverness. Since 1982, St. Andrew's United Church has been part of the Kinnear's Mills-Inverness-Thetford Mines Pastoral Charge. St. Andrew's United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The churches are governed by a Session and Stewards.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the Church congregation and history from 1893 to the 1989. It consists of minutes, a membership register, historical sketches, and a register of baptisms, marriages, and burials. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1894-1899), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1864-1899), Membership ([185-?]-1893), and Historical ([196-]-1989).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016