Fonds PC008 - St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Sherbrooke) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Sherbrooke) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper:

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA E001 PC008

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1864-1999 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2,22 m of textual records. - 201 photographs. - 1 plan. - 4 architectural drawings. - 1 audio reel.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, formerly known as the First Presbyterian Church, Sherbrooke, was organized in Sherbrooke in 1864, after many Scottish Presbyterian families had arrived in the city to work in the Paton mills. At that time, there was no church, manse nor property. The Congregation met in a theatre, which had formerly belonged to a Congregational Church. In 1888, a new church was built on the same site and this became St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. With the Church Union of 1925, the congregation lost one-tenth of its members as they joined the United Church of Canada. In July, 1999, the church building suffered extensive damage during a severe storm, which shifted some of its walls and destroyed a portion of the roof as well as two stained glass windows. Rather than attempt to restore the old building, it was decided to build a new church, which was erected in Lennoxville and inaugurated in 2004. Today, the Church is still active. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church is governed by the congregation and the church courts (board of managers and session) in co-operation with committees, organizations and societies within the Church, such as the Sunday School and the Women's Missionary Society.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains source material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, and the activities of many Church organizations from 1864 to 1999. It consists mainly of registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials; minute books; communion rolls; orders of service; financial records; reports; and correspondence. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Vital Statistics (1865-1983), Session (1864-1997), Congregation (1893-1995), Board of Managers (1888-1982), Women's Organizations (1923-1990), Other Organizations (1905-1969, 1999), Photographs ([190-?]-[198-]), Ministers (1928-[198-?]), and Miscellaneous Documents ([1896?]-1993).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Session minutes may be consulted only with the written approval of the given congregation or of the Presbytery. The registers of baptism, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

The following finding aid is available: Catalogue to the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Sherbrooke) fonds (PC008), compiled by Sylvie Côté, 1998.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was loaned for 50 years in 1996 by the Presbytery of Quebec of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
The classification of the fonds is based on the file classification plan established by Sylvie Côté, ETRC Archivist, for local Presbyterian Church records. However, some variants have been made to the original system to fit specific needs.
The documents are in English, with some in French and one in Hungarian.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

1 février, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres