Shipton, Township of

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Equivalent terms

Shipton, Township of

Associated terms

Shipton, Township of

15 Archival description results for Shipton, Township of

1 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Jeffrey Mine workers in Asbestos

Item is a photograph showing miners at the Jeffrey Mines in Asbestos around 1905.

The caption reads: This is how stripping was done about 1905 and until 1914. Horses hauled dumpcarts which were loaded by hand, to the dump. Sometimes the drivers, mostly young boys employed by the contractor, would back the cart too close to the edge of the dump and when the latch was released and the load did not slide out easily, everything went, load of earth, dumpcart, and the poor old horse. In most cases that was the end of the horse. The harness was stripped off and the horse shot and buried by suceeding loads of earth. Incidentally the "Dirt Dump" was along side of the Danville road just a short distance below the "Square"

In this picture it is possible to see three separate pits. The small cabins on the edge of the pit were for the signal boys. The hoist operator could not see into the pit or even see the platform where the derrick boxes were dumped into the ore cars. so boys were placed where they could be seen by the hoist operator and the men in the pit. They used paddles about the size of a Ping-pong paddle or bat. These were brightly painted, mostly white with a ex red centre like a large target, bull's eye. With these they transmitted signals from the pit crew to the hoistman. There were two boxes to a hoist. While one was being hoisted and emptied the pit gang were loading the second. When they had loaded and hoisted 100 boxes their day was finished. Starting at 6,30 A.M. to 12.00 noon, one hour for lunch, restart 1.00.P.M. until the 100 box was dumped which was anywhere from 1.30 to 3.00 P.M. These same boxes were used to lower and raise the men into and cut of the pit."

Men installing new machinery

The caption reads "This picture taken when these men were installing the new machinery in the New Machine Shop, 1913. This shop was used until 1942 when another move was make to a new building on the St George Road. This third machine shop was vacated last year and demolished in this spring 1980."
Front: Clifford Gale, Albert Carneau, Johnny Morris, James Coyle Jr., David Roy. Rear: Bob Williams and Gordon Clark, foreman.

Aerial view of the installation

Pictured here is an aerial view of the Johns-Manville installation in Asbestos. The caption reads, " Showing Tailings till in area where ore was drawn through 'Block Caving' in underground mine. Mill #3 Centre foreground.

Aerial view of the mining installations

Aerial view of the different mills used by Canadian Johns-Manville.

The caption reads, "THE C.J.M. CO.LTD. MILIS

As seen from the air.

In the upper right hand corner is the Machine Shop #2 which was vacated in 1942. Nearby are the Main Stores and stores sheds. A little less than top centre is the Shawinigan Water and Power Sub Station. Below that, nearer to the camera is Mill #3 Dryer, Mill #3 and Mill #3 Fibre Storage Shed. Closer to the camera are several large buildings. That in the centre of the picture is Mill 4A. The smaller one at the left is Mill 4 B at the right of these are Mill 4A & 4B Dryers, Plant C Screen Rooms and Plant C Crusher Building."

Group of machinists

Pictured here is a group of machinists
Front: Florian Champoux, Alpherie Jutras, George H. Burns
2nd row: Albert Beliveau, Edourd Spenard
3rd row (standing) Lucien Marchand, Philippe Proulx, Roderick MacKenzie, Verron Carson, gerard Delisle, Harold Lockwood and Joseph R. Houle.