Item P001 - Sherbrooke in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sherbrooke in the 1800s and early 1900s.

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description


    Reference code

    CA ETRC P998-090-063-P001

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • Reproduced [194-?] (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    81 photographs (1 album) : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm.

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    An album of copies of photographs and other graphic materials. All of Sherbrooke and the area but details on specific identification lacking for many. Includes an 1878 view of the Eastern Townships Bank, before the Post Office was built (in 1884), and the Hyatt Bridge (page 14); views of Wellington Street and King Street, 1895-1898 (pages 15-21); a view of the premises of W.E. Ibbotson, druggist, 1862 (page 22); a view of the Armoury of the Sherbrooke Hussars, 1876 (page 23); a view of the old City Hall (built 1859) (page 24); a view of the Merchants' Bank, 1883-1903 (page 25); an view of the premises of François Codere, Montreal Cheap Store and Sherbrooke Boot & Shoe Shop with bystanders and a horsedrawn wagon, 1898 (page 26); a view of the residence of Joseph Gibb Robertson on Wellington Street (page 27); a winter scene of firefighting with horsedrawn sleighs and a tramway (page 28); a view of the street corner premises of V. Brosseau, 1898 (page 29); a view of the Paton Manufacturing Company, 1868 (page 30); a view of Sherbrooke House, corner of Depot and King, 1898, 'G.H.Rawlins proprietor' (page 31); a view of the residence of Colonel King on Commercial Street (Dufferin Avenue) 1900 (page 32); two views (two copies of one view) of St.Peter's Church, Dufferin Street (erected 1844) (page 34); a view of Plymouth Congregational Church (erected 1851) (page 38); a view of Aylmer Bridge, 1836-1863, 1864-1897 (page 39); a view of Aylmer Bridge after being washed out by floods, 1876 (page 40); a view of a bridge destroyed by flooding (?) 1896 (page 43); a view of construction of a railroad bridge (?) 1896 (page 44); a view of King Street (below the King-Wellington intersection) and the Aylmer Bridge with the Saint Francis River in flood, 1896 (page 45); a view of Saint Francis River in flood, 1896 (page 46); Lone Pine Rock, Saint Francis River, 1915 (page 48 and 49); view of the Magog River, power dams, bridges, and industry along the river, 1875-1904, including The Royal Corset Company, Eastern Townships Corset Company, Burton Brewery Company, the Ever-Rest Spring Bed, Co., and the Wolfe Bridge (replaced by the Hubert C. Cabana Bridge in 1977) under construction, 1904 (pages 53-67); a view of men cutting ice with horses; a view of the steamer the Enterprise on the Saint Francis River, 1878 (page 69); a view of the steamer Lady of the Lake on Lake Massawippi (page 70); a copy of a photomontage of 24 mayors of Sherbrooke, 1852-1902 (page 71); a copy of a photo of the Officers of the Fifty-third Battalion, 1890 (page 72); a copy of a portrait photograph of Mgr. Paul-Stanislas Larocque, (R.C.), 1898 (page 73); a view of men with fire hose, 1850 (page 74); a copy of a photograph of the Magog Fire Company, 1873 (page 75); views of a fire station, men, horses, and equipment, 1877, 1878, 1897 (pages 76-79); a photograph of a sketch by C.B.Felton, 'Lennoxville District of Saint Francis L.C. in 1832' (page 80); a view of students in front of Bishop's University, 1865 (page 81).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Donated by Roger Asselin in 1990.


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        All of the photographs are copies of the originals.

        Availability of other formats

        Some of the photographs are also available in digital format. .

        Restrictions on access

        Copyright expired.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Related materials


        General note

        Title based on accession list.
        Captions in English.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions


        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area