Title and statement of responsibility area
Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Sherbrooke Hospital Foundaton
Physical description area
0.75 l.m. of textual records, 25 photographs, 2 objects (seal embosser and plaque), 69 floppy discs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation was founded in 1973 with Dean R. Bishop President and Bruce D. Allanson as Vice President. The purpose of the organization was to provide financial assistance to the Sherbrooke Hospital, specifically to fund special projects and the purchase of equipment. This financial support came through the solicitation of donations, fundraising campaigns, and the management of endowments. In the first twenty-three years of the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation’s existence, the organization was able to transfer 10 million dollars to the hospital. After the Sherbrooke Hospital closed in 1996, the organization applied for additional Letters Patent in order to begin providing funding to other health care or social service organizations within Sherbrooke. The new Letters Patent lists Bruce D. Allanson as President and James E. Atto as Vice-President of the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation. In 2008 the organization distributed 5.1 million dollars, their largest amount ever, to ten health and social service related institutions. In 2010, the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation announced the voluntary dissolution of the corporation. The board came to this decision out of concern that they were now negatively impacting the fundraising of the very organizations they sought to help and a feeling that they had completed the organization’s mandate.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the activities, administration and financial resources as well was the history of the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation and of the Sherbrooke (Protestant) Hospital in Sherbrooke from 1914 to 2012. It consists largely of minutes, financial reports, newspaper clippings, publicity, donations, grants, correspondence, and histories. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Administration (1914-2012), Financial Resources (1919-2011), and Photographs ([195-?]-2008).
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation in 2010.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Most of the documents are in English, many are in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals are expected.
The fonds was processed by Joanie Tétreault, intern, in 2022.