Title and statement of responsibility area
Sawyerville United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC010
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1849-2017, predominant 1849-1995 (Creation)
Physical description area
0.72 m of textual records. - 13 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Sawyerville United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized in 1850 as part of the Eaton Circuit, which later became the Sawyerville Circuit. These circuits included Sawyerville, Maple Leaf, Randboro, and Clifton. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Sawyerville Methodist Church decided to join the Union. Since 1970, the Church has been part of the United Eaton Valley Pastoral Charge, which includes Bishopton, Birchton, Bulwer, Cookshire, Island Brook, East Angus, Sawyerville, East Clifton and Scotstown. Sawyerville United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Board of Trustees, the Official Board and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church such as the Sunday School, youth groups, as well as UCW and other adults' organizations.
The church building was destroyed by fire on 9 July 2006.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the management, the congregation's affairs, and the organizations of the Sawyerville United Church, as well as the Eaton and Sawyerville Circuits, and the Eaton Valley Pastoral Charge from 1849 to 2017. It consists mainly of minutes, civil registers, account books, financial statements, and press clippings. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1849-1982), Buildings and Property (1892-1991), Financial Resources (1899-1963), Annual Reports (1922, 1978-1981, 1996-2001, 2003-2008, 2012-203, 2016-2017), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1852-1890), Orders of Service (1950-1975), Funds (1899-1905), Membership (1851-1889), Historical (1960-1975), Organizations (1863-1977, 1982-1990), Photographs ([189-?]-[ca. 2000]) and Press Clippings ([196-?]-1995).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016