Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC P049
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,35 m of textual records. - 25 photographs. - 1 architectural drawing.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The County of Richmond was surveyed at the end of the 18th century and settled by Loyalists from the United States. Elmore Cushing and his 46 associates were the first to be granted a township, the Township of Shipton. Subsequently, the County witnessed the arrival of British immigrants, (mainly from Wales, Ireland, and Scotland). In the mid-19th century, French-Canadian colonization began. The first villages to be established were Richmond, Danville, and Windsor, Richmond being incorporated in 1862. The District of St. Francis, created in 1823, organized a circuit court for Richmond County in 1843.
Scope and content
The collection contains source material on agriculture, justice, business, municipal politics, sports, and education in the County of Richmond from 1850 to 1930, and on the activities of Charles N. Desaulniers, who was Clerk for the Circuit Court, Secretary-Treasurer of the village of Richmond, and an insurance agent. The collection consists of documentary materials of various kinds, including annual reports, statements of accounts, membership lists, registers, photographs, and correspondence. It is comprised of the following series: Agricultural Society for the County of Richmond ([1893?]-[1906?]), Legal Documents (1909), Certificates (1905-1906), Public Market and Town Hall (1873), Circuit Court and Magistrate's Court (1850-1908), Independent Eastern Townships Hockey League (1899-1900), Charles N. Desaulniers (1884-1889), School Register (1883-1884), and Photographs ([18-?]-1927).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Negatives: 97-02-9 (CS, box E-11).
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of collection.
The series Photographs includes the following files : 1. Floods in Richmond, 1906 2. Railroad in Drummondville, [18-?] 3. Railroad in Kingsey, 1927 4. Village of Richmond, [1906?] 5. Village of Melbourne, ca 1900 6. Bridges in Richmond, [188-?]-[1903?] 7. Jos. Bédard Store and St. Francis Hotel in Richmond, [18-?] 8. St.Patrick's Parade in Richmond, ca 1900 9. Catholic Church in Richmond, [18-?] 10. Dragoon Regiment in Waterloo, 1908 11. St.Francis College in Richmond, [18-?].
The documents were purchased in 1988.
The records were arranged by Germain Bélisle, former Head Librarian of Bishop's University Library.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016