Title and statement of responsibility area
Presbyterian Church in Canada Presbytery of Quebec fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1831-1999; predominant 1950-1980 (Creation)
Physical description area
0,95 m of textual records. - Env. 87 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Presbytery of Quebec was organized in 1875, after the Presbyterian Church in Canada was formed. The latter resulted from the merger of four Presbyterian churches in Canada: the Canada Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church of Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland, the Presbyterian Church in the Lower Provinces of British North America and the Presbyterian Church of the Maritime Provinces in Connection with the Church of Scotland. The Presbytery of Quebec, which is part of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario, is a court of the Church made up of a number of congregations within the quadrilateral formed by Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Rivière-du-Loup, and Lake Megantic. Over the years, congregations were established in Danville-Asbestos, East Angus, Flodden (Brompton Gore), Gould, Hampden, Inverness, Jersey Mills, Lake Megantic, Leeds, Marsboro, Melbourne, Milan, Quebec City, Richmond, Rivière-du-Loup, Scotstown, Sherbrooke, St. Sylvester, Trois-Rivières, Valcartier, Winslow, etc. In 1925, the Presbytery of Quebec lost congregations, which joined the newly formed United Church of Canada. The main functions of the Presbytery are to oversee congregations within its bounds; to designate new congregations; to elect those who bear ecclesiastical charges; to find candidates for the ministry and to certify them for ordination; to authorize calls to ministers by congregations; and to proceed to ordination and/or induction (art. 202-234) of new ministers. Prior to 1875, a Presbytery of Quebec existed. It had been organized in 1831 when a Synod of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland was established. The Presbytery of Quebec ceased to exist in 1846, but was revived in 1856 and reorganized in 1875. The Presbytery consists of ordained ministers within the bounds (minimum of half-time basis) and one ordained elder from each congregation which has an organized session, and ministers ordained by the Presbytery for work overseas under the Life and Mission Agency.(art. 176). The moderator of the Presbytery constitutes the court and presides, opens and closes meetings with prayer, preserves order, takes votes, announces decisions, pronounces censures, signs minutes, calls meetings, and generally directs the business of the court (art. 179). The Presbytery appoints a clerk whose duty is to keep records of proceedings and transmit the same annually to the synod for review; keep an accurate roll of the members; preserve all papers belonging to the court; and give certified extracts from minutes when required (art. 181). The Presbytery appoints a treasurer to receive and disburse any moneys belonging to the court (art. 183).
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the management of the Presbytery of Quebec, French work within the Presbytery, ministry, and women's contribution to Church life from 1831 to 1999. It consists mainly of minutes, reports, correspondence, ledgers and financial statements. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Administration and Management (1831-1993), Financial Resources (1926-1988), Ministry ([194-?]-1991), Committees (1965-1991), Quebec Presbyterial (1926-1991), and Photographs (1980-1983).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The following finding aid is available: Catalogue to the Archives of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Presbyterian Church in Canada (PC009), compiled by Sylvie Côté, 1998.
Researchers may also consult the minutes of the Presbytery of Quebec from 1841-1874, 1893, 1906-1925 in the archives at the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec in Montreal (P602 - Église presbytérienne, boîte 1995-03-007/54).
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was loaned for 50 years in 1996 by the Presbytery of Quebec of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
There is 1 unprocessed acquisition ([194-?]-1999): 0.11 m. of textual records and ca. 70 photographs. The classification of the fonds is based on the file classification plan established by Sylvie Côté, ETRC Archivist, for local Presbyterian Church records. Individual churches do not all have records falling in each of the system's prearranged series, subseries, and files. This fonds is an example, as it comprises only six series out of a possible nine.
The documents are in English, with some in French.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016