Title and statement of responsibility area
Fonds Police-Pompiers de Coaticook
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
- Variations in title: Previously known as Fonds Ville de Coaticook and Fonds Police-Pompiers
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
- 2 cm of textual records
- 32 photographs: b&w and col.
- 4.18 GB (slide show)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The City of Coaticook’s fire brigade had its start with the incorporation of the town in 1864 and began with bylaws to help reduce the likelihood of conflagration. By the late 1880s, Coaticook had its first organized fire brigade, called the Deluge Fire Company. A second brigade was added in 1898, called the Beaver Fire Company. Over time, the Coaticook Fire Department added various equipment, such as a steam fire pump in 1887, which marked the official beginning of the department.
Over the years, Coaticook had a number of major fires dealt with by department: in 1890, a number of buildings on Child and Main Streets succumbed to fire; in 1895 a fire destroyed a large part of the downtown; a third major fire in 1949 began in the Hotel Child and went on to destroy a number of other buildings, including the first building of the St-Jean-l’Évangeliste church.
In 1976, the firefighting services of Coaticook, Dixville, Ste-Edwidge and St-Herménégilde and a reorganization of the services was undertaken. Today, its principal mission is to assure the protection of the lives and property of the approximately 12,000 citizens situated in its member municipalities, which are spread over a territory of approximately 564 km2.
Scope and content
Fonds illustrates the activities of the police force and firefighters of Coaticook from about the 1940s to the 2000s. It consists of photographs, newspaper clippings, design proposals for a new police badge in the 1990s, certificates and photographs of Gérard Groleau (police chief from 1948-1968), a history of the police force, and a police manual. The fonds is composed of the following files: Scrapbook, Gérard Groleau, Coaticook Police Badge, and History of the police and fire services.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds donated by the Ville de Coaticook.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description