Title and statement of responsibility area
Philip Harry Scowen collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC P129
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
10 textual records. - 4 maps. - 31 pictures. - 17 postcards. - 6 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Philip Harry Scowen was born in Ipswich England on September 13, 1906. In 1909, Philip's parents (Herbert H. and Cordelia) brought the family to Canada. In 1930 he married Eulah Annis Reed. They had three children, son Reed, daughter Lee (Campione) and son Philip. Mr. Scowen's first job was as a factory hand at the Brompton Pulp and Paper Company. Over the years he rose through the ranks to become the company's general manager. In the early sixties he left Brompton Pulp and Paper, to found his own company, Perkins Paper Products. From 1946 to 1967, Mr. Scowen served on the executive Committee for the corporation of Bishop's University. In 1961 the chancellor conferred the D.C.L. on him in recognition of his services to Bishop's. He had a love for the history of the Eastern Townships; he collected and donated to the library, a large number of books and historical documents on the Townships. Furthermore, he co-authored, with Charles de Volpi, a book on the history of the Eastern Townships, featuring many rare prints of the region. Philip Harry Scowen passed away in 1989.
Scope and content
The collection contains source material on the Eastern Townships, the Province of Lower Canada, the British American Land Company, St. George's Club and the Lake Massawippi area from 1794 to about 1997. It consists of 4 maps, 31 pictures (reprints) of Eastern townships and Lower Canada scenes, 1 deed of conveyance, 1 list of unsold land and 1 list of members, 6 photographs, 17 postcards, a few brochures, and 2 programmes for plays. The collection is comprised of the following series: British American Land Company (1836-1842), St. George's Club (1963), Maps (1794-1905), Reprints (1865-1881), Deed of Conveyance (1933), and Lake Massawippi and North Hatley ([192-?]-[1997?]).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Philip Harry Scowen fonds (MG 092) at Bishop's University Archives.
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of collection.
The documents were donated in four accessions (2000, before 2004, 2007, 2010, 2014) by Philip Scowen, Philip Harry Scowen's son.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata