Title and statement of responsibility area
Wilkinson Brothers Studio fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA E001 P228
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[between 1924 and 1949] (Creation)
- Dates based on postcard stamp box identification.
Physical description area
117 photographs : b&w.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Wilkinson Brothers Studio opened in the spring of 1892. John Wilkinson (b. March 9, 1862 in Scotland, d. 1946) and his brother, Alfred Wilkinson (b. December 14, 1867 in Belgium) bought the studio of H.H. Weeden in Cookshire and reopened it under its new name. John had visited Canada and the United States from 1884 to 1885, and after completing his studies at the London Polytechnic School of Photography, he had returned (in 1891) to settle in Cookshire with his brother Alfred. The Wilkinson Brothers were known to photograph both the upper and lower classes of the region, and also contributed to the illustration of L.S. Channell’s work, “History of Compton County,” published in 1896. John Wilkinson married Millicent Botterill. Alfred Wilkinson married Ethel Bigland and together they had a son, Gerald (b. 1897). Records suggest Alfred left the photographic studio and served as headmaster at Bishop's College School in Lennoxville from 1911 to 1931. John continued to operate the photograph studio without his brother into the 1930s. John died in Cookshire in 1946.
Scope and content
The fonds contains primary source information on the Wilkinson Brothers Studio from beween 1924 and 1949. It consists of black and white studio photographs of people of all ages. The fonds is composed of the following series: Identified photographs ([between 1924 and 1949]), Unidentified children and youth ([between 1924 and 1949]), and Unidentified adults ([between 1924 and 1949]).