Title and statement of responsibility area
Louis-Philippe Demers collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,2 m of textual records. - 91 photographs. - 73 postcards. - 1 map. - 75 pictures.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Local-history amateur Louis-Philippe Demers was born in Sherbrooke in 1912 to Albert C. Demers, an accountant, and Alberta Dubois. In 1937, he married Anne-Marie Grenier; they had three children. He attended schools in Sherbrooke and Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, and graduated from Université de Sherbrooke. He worked for 18 years for the Syndicats nationaux, and then join the staff of the City of Sherbrooke in 1953 as Director of the tourism department. Demers was active in the Eastern Townships Historical Society and the Eastern Townships Genealogical Society and collected materials related to local history. He died in Sherbrooke in 1986.
Scope and content
The collection contains source material on the history of the Eastern Townships and more specifically, of the city of Sherbrooke in the 20th century. Holdings relate to such varied topics as the daily La Tribune, Sherbrooke's centenary, land granting in the 18th and 19th centuries, the teaching of the arts and the Eucharistic Conference of 1959. The collection consists mainly of press clippings, photographs, postcards, registers, and contracts. Most of the documents on land grants in the Eastern Townships are copies of documents held by the National Archives of Canada. The content of the press clipping files are also copies of articles from local newspapers. The collection is comprised of the following series: Press Clipping Files (1937-[198-?]), Images, Photographs and Postcards (1885-[1959?]), Registers of the Council of Arts and Manufacturers of the Province of Quebec (1903-1953), Land Grants in the Eastern Townships (1863-1985), and Miscellaneous Documents ([1883?]-1984). The series 'Land Grants in the Eastern Townships' contains an original of Putnam and Gray's 1863 Map of the District of St. Francis Canada East, cut up in pieces.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the archives of Louis-Philippe Demers at the Historical Society of Sherbrooke in Sherbrooke.
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of collection.
The postcard albums of the Eastern Townships collection includes some postcards from the Louis-Philippe Demers collection. These postcards will be transferred to the Louis-Philippe Demers collection later.
The documents were donated in many accessions (1983-1985) by Louis-Philippe Demers.
The documents are in English and in French.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016