Title and statement of responsibility area
Leeds United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC051
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,17 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Leeds United Church, initially of Presbyterian denomination, was organized in 1854. Until 1882, the Leeds Congregation had three preaching points: Leeds Village, Lemesurier (Reid's Presbyterian Church) and Kinnear's Mills (Candlish Presbyterian Church). From 1881 to 1912, Leeds Presbyterian Church was joined with St. Sylvester Presbyterian Church. When this Church closed in 1912, Leeds Presbyterian Church decided to form a union with Reid's Presbyterian Church in Lemesurier and Candlish Presbyterian Church in Kinnear's Mills. They shared the services of one minister. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Congregational, Methodist, and Presbyterian Churches, Leeds Presbyterian Church decided to join the Union. Leeds United Church closed in the 1940s and the church building was demolished in 1949.
For many years, the archives of Leeds United Church were kept with the records of Candlish United Church in Kinnear's Mills. They were transferred to the archives in 1999.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management and the congregation's affairs from 1882 to 1963. It also provides information on St. Sylvester Presbyterian Church, Candlish United Church in Kinnear's Mills, and Reid's Presbyterian Church in Lemesurier. It consist of minutes, correspondence, account books, reports, weekly offerings, a register of baptisms, marriages, and burials, and communion rolls. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1892-1926), Buildings and Property ([1903?]-1926), Financial Resources (1904-1963), Annual Reports (1904-1924), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1882-1914, 1928-1942), and Membership (1882-1944).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult Candlish United Church (Kinnear's Mills) fonds (UC045), Reid's Presbyterian Church (Lemesurier and Kinnear's Mills) fonds (PC017), and St. Sylvester Presbyterian Church fonds (PC018).
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents for 1962-1963 are related to Candlish United Church in Kinnear's Mills.
Dry Method for Surface Cleaning of Paper was done in December 2001 by Francine Godbout.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016