Title and statement of responsibility area
Knox United Church (Lake Megantic) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,22 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Knox United Church in Lake Megantic, initially of Presbyterian denomination, was organized in 1890. In 1926, one year after the foundation of the United Church of Canada, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, Knox Presbyterian Church in Lake Megantic joined the Union to form Knox United Church. Some dissident members, who decided to remain Presbyterian, established a new church and called it St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. In 1963, Knox United Church was declared defunct and the church was sold to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. In 1980, the church building was transformed into a restaurant called "La Chapelle". Knox United Church was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church was governed by the Board of Trustees, the Congregation in cooperation with organizations within the Church, such as the Ladies' Aid Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, and the Ladies' Aid Society for the Knox United Church in Lake Megantic from 1900 to 1990. It consists mainly of minutes, account books, registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials, and a membership roll. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1914-1963), Buildings and Property ([196-?]-1969), Financial Resources (1910-1963), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1900-1962), Membership (1906-1962), Historical ([196-?], 1990), and Organizations (1902-1926).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist. The file Every Family Visitation (UC035/012/002) is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Lake Megantic) fonds (PC003).
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016