King's Hall (Compton, Que.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

King's Hall (Compton, Que.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Compton Ladies' College was founded by the reverend Joseph Dinzey in 1874. A girls' school, the College was managed by a corporation composed of the Bishop of the Diocese of Quebec of the Church of England and four other members appointed by the Synod of the Diocese. In 1884, the College closed because of financial difficulties. It reopened in 1886 under the administration of Reverend George Herbert Parker and a new corporation presided over by the Bishop of Quebec. In 1902, Gena Smith, then Headmistress, reorganized the school on the model of British ladies' schools and had its name changed to King's Hall to mark the coronation of King Edward VII of England, which took place on the 9th of August of that year. A new corporation, formed of the Bishop of Quebec and twelve other members, was established. Through the years, King's Hall expanded its buildings and modified its philosophy of education to suit the needs of a modern educational institution. Girls from different countries and across Canada attended. King's Hall closed its doors in 1972. Students were transferred to Bishop's College School in Lennoxville, until that time a male institution.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC