Title and statement of responsibility area
Jersey Mills Presbyterian Church (St. George) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC PC013
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,08 m of textual records. - 1 photograph.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The congregation of Jersey Mills Presbyterian Church in St. George was established in the middle of the 19th century. In these early days, no church existed; services were held in homes at three preaching points of the district; St. George, Kennebec Road and Marlow. By 1881, a church was built in St. George. From the 1920's on, the population of the region decreased and, in 1958, the congregation was disbanded. Members transferred to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Sherbrooke or St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Quebec City. The Jersey Mills Presbyterian Church was under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church was governed by the congregation and the Church Courts (Board of Managers and Session) in co-operation with committees, societies, and organizations within the church, such as the Sunday School and the Women's Missionary Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the Church management and the congregation's affairs for the Jersey Mills Presbyterian Church in St. George from 1852 to 1958. It consists mainly of registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials, minutes, communion rolls, annual reports, financial statements, and legal documents. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Vital Statistics (1883-1948), Session (1919-1950), Congregation (1886-1958), Board of Managers (1852-1956), Photographs (1958), and Miscellaneous Documents ([1924?]-1949).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Session minutes may be consulted only with the written approval of the given congregation or of the Presbytery. The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was loaned for 50 years in 1996 by the Presbytery of Quebec of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
The classification of the fonds is based on the file classification plan established by Sylvie Côté, ETRC Archivist, for local Presbyterian Church records. Individual churches do not all have records falling in each of the system's prearranged series, subseries, and files. This fonds is an example, as it comprises only six series out of a possible nine.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016