Showing 60 results

Archival description
William G. Clark collection
Print preview Hierarchy View:

44 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Johns-Manville News Pictorial

This sub-series contains primary and secondary information about the Canadian Johns-Manville Company, which operated the asbestos mine in Val-Des-Sources (formerly Asbestos), Quebec. The publication dates span 1948 to 1972. The documents includes discussions about - company and industry developments, earning reports, recipes, community organizations, retirements, and deaths within the company. The sub-series is divided into thirteen files, arranged according to year published.

The Blast

This photo is the second in a group demonstrating a blast in a mine. In this picture, the blast is happening.

Before the Blast

This photo is the first of a group demonstrating a blasting in a mine. A man is visible making the final preparation before the blast.

Photographs

This series contains primary source information about the Canadian Johns-Manville Company activities, mostly centering around Val-Des-Source (formerly Asbestos), Quebec. The photographs are dated from 1890 to 1970, and include pictures of the asbestos mining and refining process, machinery, the mine itself, workers, buildings in Val-Des-Sources, leisure activities, company workers, mine out buildings, and trains. The series is divided into two subseries, Canadian John-Manville Co. Albums (1890-1970), and Group Photographs (1900-1904).

Oversized photographs

This series contains photographs taken between around 1920-1938. The photographs depicts mines, the ore extraction processes, and industrial buildings.

William G Clark

This series contains primary and secondary source information about the life of William G. Clark, dated from around 1970 to 2003. The documents include architectural drawings, town maps, Asbestos town histories, and information about the Asbestos Mineral Museum.

William G. Clark collection

  • CA ETRC P031
  • Collection
  • 1890-2003

The collection contains source material on the history of the Asbestos region and on the development of the asbestos industry in the 19th and 20th centuries; it is also a source of information on the Johns-Manville Corporation, the life of William G. Clark, and includes an architectural sketch of the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Asbestos from 1945. Among the materials are memoirs written by William G. Clark on his life and the town of Asbestos. The collection is comprised of the following series: Le Citoyen Historical Sections (1971-1980), Periodicals (The Asbestos Producer and Johns-Manville News Pictorial) (1948-1976), Photographs ([1897?]-1981), Miscellaneous Documents (1940-1971), and William G. Clark ([197-?]-2003).

Clark, William G., 1902-1999

Le Producteur d’Amiante

This sub-series contains primary and secondary source information about the happenings in the region surrounding Val-des-Sources (formerly Asbestos), Quebec and the Quebec asbestos industry in general. The publication dates of this periodical spans 1954-1976, and discusses topics including - industry and community developments, worker profiles, cultural events, and home and workplace safety. The sub-series is divided into two sub-sub-series - Newspapers (1954-1970) and Magazines (1971-1976).

First Standard Gauge Steam Locomotive

Original caption reads - "The first standard gauge steam locomotive on the A. & D. Railway purchased second hand from the Grand Trunk Railway. The first locomotive engineer, Mr. Frank Weller is the men with the oil can. The man at the front of the locomotive is Mr. Dan MacDonald, section foreman. This picture was taken before the wreak, seen in the next picture."

Jeffrey Mines, Asbestos, QC

Item is a photograph of Jeffrey Mines asbestos pit in Asbestos around the 1910s.

The caption reads: "Looking NORTH through the central portion of the open pit. Year 1928 The old Factory in the background, also the A.A.A.A. playgrounds, baseball, football etc. The grandstand on the initi (sic) right. Beyond playgrounds are houses on Poirier Street."

Jeffrey Mine workers in Asbestos

Item is a photograph showing miners at the Jeffrey Mines in Asbestos around 1905.

The caption reads: This is how stripping was done about 1905 and until 1914. Horses hauled dumpcarts which were loaded by hand, to the dump. Sometimes the drivers, mostly young boys employed by the contractor, would back the cart too close to the edge of the dump and when the latch was released and the load did not slide out easily, everything went, load of earth, dumpcart, and the poor old horse. In most cases that was the end of the horse. The harness was stripped off and the horse shot and buried by suceeding loads of earth. Incidentally the "Dirt Dump" was along side of the Danville road just a short distance below the "Square"

In this picture it is possible to see three separate pits. The small cabins on the edge of the pit were for the signal boys. The hoist operator could not see into the pit or even see the platform where the derrick boxes were dumped into the ore cars. so boys were placed where they could be seen by the hoist operator and the men in the pit. They used paddles about the size of a Ping-pong paddle or bat. These were brightly painted, mostly white with a ex red centre like a large target, bull's eye. With these they transmitted signals from the pit crew to the hoistman. There were two boxes to a hoist. While one was being hoisted and emptied the pit gang were loading the second. When they had loaded and hoisted 100 boxes their day was finished. Starting at 6,30 A.M. to 12.00 noon, one hour for lunch, restart 1.00.P.M. until the 100 box was dumped which was anywhere from 1.30 to 3.00 P.M. These same boxes were used to lower and raise the men into and cut of the pit."

Engineers Office Group

The caption reads, "GROUP ENGINEERS OFFICE 1913

F. Gifford, C.W. Barnard, chief, C.H. Shoemaker, gen. supt., Unknown, Unknown, S.F. Garvin."

7th Victory Loans Sale

Item is a photograph of a Victory Loan sale. The photograph is captioned: "Canvassers receiving Instructions + kits" with the following names: W. Bourassa, E. Chesse, C. Labrecque , R. Laprise, L. Craucher Jr., W. G. Clark, L.D Bready, P. Proulx.

Men installing new machinery

The caption reads "This picture taken when these men were installing the new machinery in the New Machine Shop, 1913. This shop was used until 1942 when another move was make to a new building on the St George Road. This third machine shop was vacated last year and demolished in this spring 1980."
Front: Clifford Gale, Albert Carneau, Johnny Morris, James Coyle Jr., David Roy. Rear: Bob Williams and Gordon Clark, foreman.

Group photo of workers

Group of pit employees with their foreman [ extreme right, marked with a cross], Mr. Ed Matton. The fifth or sixth from the left as been identified as Mr. Joseph G. Lambert , at age 14 or 13, when he used to be the water boy. This picture is beside one of the Hoist Houses near the Pit Boiler room.

Village of Asbestos

The caption reads, "Part of the village of Asbestos as seen from the main office building."

The verso reads, " View from entrance at main office looking down at St. Amine Str. / The two house in left foreground were on St. George Street."

Skating Rink

Pictured here is the skating rink on the corner of St. Aime Street and St. George Street.

The verso reads, "Village of Asbestos as seen from main office / Skating rink in the foreground / Corner of St. Aime and St. George Streets."

Results 1 to 30 of 60