Showing 37 results

Archival description
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Danville-Asbestos) fonds
Print preview View:

Photographs

The series consists of photographs depicting the interior and exterior of the Danville church and the Asbestos church, the laying of the corner stone for the church in Asbestos in September 1908, the closing service in November 1980 in Asbestos, and the first General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1875.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Danville-Asbestos) fonds

  • CA ETRC PC007
  • Fonds
  • 1872-1982

The fonds contains source material on Church management, congregation's affairs, and the activities of Church organizations and societies for the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Danville-Asbestos) from 1872 to 1982. It consists of minutes, correspondence, newsletters, reports, weekly offerings, certificates of membership, financial statements, accounting records, legal documents, bequests, building blueprints, registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials, membership lists, membership rolls, press clippings, church histories, and photographs. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Vital Statistics (1872-1981), Session (1890-1980), Congregation (1903-1980), Board of Managers (1879-1981), Women's Organizations (1908-1982), Other Organizations (1933-1945), Photographs (1908-1980), and Miscellaneous Documents (1896-1980).

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Danville, Que.)

Board of Managers

The series contains source material on the management, the finances and the accounting of the Church from 1919 to 1980. It comprises the following files: Minutes (1883-1981), Correspondence ([1925?]-[1928?], Weekly Offerings (1909-1979), Account Books (1879-1980), and Buildings and Property (1907-1980).

As stated in the 1993 edition of the Book of Forms of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, in congregations where there is not a deacon's court, the management of the financial affairs of the church is entrusted to a board of managers (art. 158). The managers are chosen by the congregation at the annual meeting of the congregation or a meeting called for the purpose (art. 159). The duties of the board relate specially to the temporal and financial affairs of the congregation. It is their duty to co-operate closely with the session in encouraging support of the congregation's total ministry and to disburse all moneys received for this purpose, subject to the approval of the congregation; to provide for the payment of the minister's stipend and other salaries; and generally to administer all matters committed to their charge as the congregation may direct (art. 162). The board of managers is responsible for caring for the place of worship and other ecclesiastical buildings and seeing that they are kept in good condition and repair (art. 163); paying the expenses in connection with the service of praise as determined by the congregation (art. 164); and appointing and dismissing the church officer (art. 165). At its annual meeting, the congregation appoints among the members of the board a convener, a secretary, and a treasurer (art. 167). It is the duty of the secretary to keep a faithful record of the proceedings of the board in a book provided for the purpose; and to record there any congregational meetings held for temporal purposes (art. 169). Meetings of the board are held at stated times, at least once in three months for the transaction of business (art. 171).

St. Andrew's Club

The subseries contains source material on the management and activities of the St. Andrew's Club from 1933 to 1939. The St. Andrew's Club was organized in January 1932. The subseries is comprised of the following file: Minutes (1933-[1939]).

Session

The series consists of documents pursuant to the session's mandate, more specifically regarding the supervision and oversight of the congregation's affairs, membership, and worship. It includes the following files: Minutes (1890-1980), Communion Rolls (1961-1979), Membership Lists ([1936?]-1978), Certificates of Membership (1913-1941), and Orders of Service (1967-1980).

As stated in the 1993 edition of the Book of Forms of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, the session establishes good order and provides for the pastoral care of the congregation. It is responsible for the supervision and oversight of all associations of members and adherents connected with the congregation; all policy and procedures with respect to the use of the church building and property; the election and admission of elders; keeping a roll of the professing members, a register of baptisms, and a list of all the persons connected with the congregation (art. 109); seeking out, preparing and admitting persons as professing members, and the pastoral care of all persons within the fellowship of the congregation (art. 110); regulating the hours and forms of public worship and arranging special services; appointing the organist and other leaders of the service of praise (art. 111); providing for the programme of Christian education for persons of all ages in order that they may be confronted by the Gospel, may grow in faith, participate in the life of the Christian community, and be active witnesses to Christ in the world (art. 112); and all aspects of stewardship and mission, both spiritual and material, within the congregation (art. 113). The session is responsible for the carrying out of such duties as may be directed to it by a higher court of the Church. The session is required to submit its records to the presbytery for examination when so ordered; to see that the annual statistical and other reports are completed and returned to the presbytery clerk by the date specified; and to appoint a member as representative elder to the presbytery (art. 114). The session consists of the congregation's minister(s), active members of the Order of Diaconal Ministries, and ruling elders (art. 105). The minister is ex officio moderator of the session (art. 115). The session appoints a clerk, whose duty is to take regular minutes of the session's procedures and make a permanent record of them, to take charge of all sessional documents and to prepare and issue all extracts of minutes and papers authorized by the session (art. 118). The session may also appoint a treasurer to take charge of any funds at its disposal (art. 120). The session, as far as practicable, holds stated meetings for the transaction of business; it may hold meetings for devotion and religious conference. Meetings of session are not open to the congregation; but the session may hold open meetings when deemed advisable (art.120).

Women's Missionary Society

The subseries contains source material on the activities, the finances, and the membership of the Auxiliary from 1908 to 1977. It comprises the following files: Minutes (1908-1977), Account Books (1926-1930), and Reports (1948-1977).

The Women's Missionary Society, known at this time as the Women's Foreign Missionary Society, was organized in 1904 in Danville. In 1913, it became the Federated Women's Missionary Society, consisting of women from both the Congregational and the Presbyterian Churches. It was disbanded in June 1925, when the Presbyterian women refused to join the United Church of Canada. In October 1925, a new auxiliary of the Women's Missionary Society was organized in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Danville-Asbestos; it was disbanded in September 1977. As stated in the constitution and by-laws of the Women's Missionary Society, the Auxiliary's mandate was to unite the women, girls, and children of the Church in prayer, study and service for the advancement of the Kingdom of God at home and abroad (art. II). The Auxiliary reported to the Quebec Presbyterial Society in the Synodical Society of Montreal/Ottawa of the Women's Missionary Society, Western Division of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. By-law 2 stated :' The Auxiliary shall meet regularly during the year for the purpose of becoming informed about the Society's work at home and abroad and the total mission of the whole Church. There shall be a service of worship at each meeting. Each Auxiliary Secretary shall be responsible for preparing an accurate tabulated and written report, forwarding these to the corresponding Departmental Secretary of the Presbyterial not later than December 31st. The Auxiliary shall present a report of its work to the congregational Annual Meeting. The Officers shall be President, Vice-President or Vice-Presidents, Secretary, and Treasurer and other officers as may be deemed necessary. The term of the office of the President shall not exceed four consecutive years. The Executive of the Auxiliary shall consist of its elected officers. The Executive shall have power to transact business requiring attention between the regular meetings of the Auxiliary. It is the responsibility of the Executive to supervise the work of the various officers. Each Auxiliary shall forward all money contributed for mission work to the General Fund of the Society through the Presbyterial treasurer.'

Ladies' Guild

The subseries contains source material on the management and activities of the Ladies' Auxiliary from 1956 to 1982. The Ladies' Guild was disbanded in 1982. The subseries comprises the following files: Minutes (1956-1982) and Reports (1969-1982).

Congregation

The series contains source material on the activities, the finances, and the history of the congregation and its societies and organizations from 1903 to 1980. It includes the following files: Minutes and Annual Reports (1903-1980), Mission Record (1954-1955), and History (1958-1980).

As stated in the 1993 edition of the Book of Forms of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, a congregation is a company of persons, together with their children, associated in a particular locality for Christian worship, instruction fellowship and work, with the sanction of a presbytery (art. 139). Members of the congregation are under the care and subject to the authority of the session (art. 142). They have access to the session in reference to any matter affecting themselves, their fellow members, the congregation, or the church (art. 143). The property of the congregation is held by trustees, who should be professing members, appointed by the congregation, in the manner provided for in the trust deed (art. 149). To erect a place of worship, a congregation must obtain the presbytery's approval of the site (art. 150). Meetings of the congregation are called by the authority of the session on its own motion or on requisition in writing of the deacon's court or the board of managers, or of a number of professing members, or by mandate of a superior court (art. 152). Every congregation should hold an annual meeting for receiving the report of the board of managers or the deacon's court and transacting any other business regularly brought before it. It is recommended that the annual report be printed and circulated among the members of the congregation (art. 153). At congregational meetings, the minister of the congregation presides (art. 154).

Ladies' Auxiliary

The subseries contains source material on the management, the activities, and the membership of the Ladies' Auxiliary from 1927 to 1982. The Ladies' Auxiliary was organized in May 1927 and disbanded in June 1982. The subseries comprises the following files: Minutes (1927-1982) and Reports (1928-1982).

Miscellaneous Documents

The series consists of various documents related in most cases to special events at the Church (rededication service, closing service, purchase or building of a new church, etc.) from 1896 to 1980. Among the documents are two scrapbooks in which press clippings, minutes, correspondence, subscription lists, resolutions, reports, photographs of Asbestos and the Church, etc. have been assembled.

Minutes

The file consists of seven minute books from 1927 to 1982. The first book includes, besides the minutes of the Ladies' Auxiliary, the constitution and minutes, from January 1932 to June 1933, of the St. Andrew's Club.

Reports

The file consists of secretaries and treasurers annual reports from 1948 to 1977. It provides data on the Auxiliary's activities and membership as well as on its receipts and disbursements and donations to the general, supply, and expense funds.

Minutes

The file consists of six minute books from 1908 to 1977. The first book (1913-1926), which was used when the Auxiliary was part of the Federated Missionary Society, does not include the minutes for the meetings held from 1914 to 1925. It indicates only the dates and place of the meeting and the names of the attending members. Besides minutes of meetings, the books include the names of the Auxiliary's officers and members.

Account Books

The file includes six accounting books providing information on collections from the members of the congregation, the minister's salary, revenues, expenditures, and insurance policies from 1879 to 1980. There are no records for the years 1888 to 1897, 1913 to 1921, 1931 to 1936, and 1947 to 1966.

Buildings and Property

The file consists of various documents (deeds, correspondence, architectural drawings, resolutions, tenders, etc.) related to the building of the churches in Danville in 1928-1929 and Asbestos in 1941-1942; the purchase and sale of land and property (more specifically to the Canadian Johns-Manville Company); the moving and remodelling of the old church in Danville; donations, loans and mortgages; the dedication services of the new church in Danville in 1929 and in Asbestos in 1942; the estates of Blanche and James Oliver Church; to municipal taxes; and insurance policies from 1907 to 1980.

Correspondence

The file consists of correspondence related to the establishment of the United Church of Canada in 1925 and its consequences (claims of property, sharing of church buildings, etc.) for the churches in Danville and Asbestos.

History

The file consists of 9 items on the history of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Danville and Asbestos from the mid-19th century to 1980. It provides information on the Church's establishment church buildings and property, and its amalgamation with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Melbourne. It also contains lists of the ministers and students who supplied the pulpit, of the members in 1909 and 1925, and of the elders from 1891 to 1979.

Minutes and Annual Reports

The file consists of minutes of the congregational meetings, with the annual reports (financial statements, minister, session, board of managers, Women's Missionary Society, St. Andrew's Sewing Circle, Ladies' Auxiliary, Organ Fund, Church property, St. Andrew's Club, Sunday School, Building Fund, Collections, Ladies' Guild, Young People's Society, etc.) presented at these meetings from 1903 to 1980. There are gaps in the minutes between 1903 and 1955.

Mission Record

The file consists of one home missionary record book containing data on members of the Church (name, address, occupation, children's names, children's birth dates, baptisms); and on the missionary work of the missionary in office (services held, attendance, offerings, hours of study, visits to homes, hospital visits, attendance at other meetings). The book was used by Charles Townsley from February to December 1954 and by Goodwill MacDougall from June to October 1955.

Results 1 to 30 of 37