Title and statement of responsibility area
Granby United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC008
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,74 m of textual records. - 10 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Granby United Church, initially of congregational denomination and formerly known as the First Congregational Church, was organized in 1830. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the First Congregational Church in Granby decided to join the union and change its name to Trinity United Church. In 1928, the Drummond Street United Church, also in Granby, was amalgamated with Trinity United Church to form the Granby United Church. Since 1945, the Abbotsford United Church has been affiliated with the Granby United Church. Since 1925 or 1926, the Church has been part of the Granby Pastoral Charge. In 1975, Granby United Church was transferred from the Montreal Presbytery to the Quebec-Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Official Board, the Session, the Board of Stewards and the Board of Trustees in co-operation with committees and organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School and the Women's Missionary Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, and Church organizations for the Granby United Chruch from 1830 to 2018. It consists mainly of minutes, annual reports, civil registers, communion rolls and photographs. It also includes information on the Pinewood Cemetery in Granby. The fonds is comprised of the following series : Church Boards (1899-1998), Buildings and Property ([1889?]-1994), Financial Resources (1906-1999), Banns/Marriage Certificates (1943-1999), Annual Reports (1888-2008, 2013, 2018), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1879-1999), Orders of Service (1920, 1928, 1938 1948, 1980), Funds (1959-2000), Sermons ([18--], 1999), Membership (1830-1952), Historical (1930, [194-?], 1968, 1974, 1980), Newsletters (1985-1995), Organizations ([18--]-1994), Committees (1841, 1910-1995), Press Clippings (1867, 1871, 1980-1993) and Miscellaneous (1986, 1994).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist. Restrictions apply to some legal records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Drummond Street United Church (Granby) fonds (UC012).
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Among the photographs, there is one negative.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English, some in French.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016