Title and statement of responsibility area
Gisla Cemetery Inc. fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,04 m of textual records. - 2 plans.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Gisla Cemetery Inc. was founded in 1894 when a group of cemetery lot owners met and selected a board of managers to oversee the maintenance the "Graveyard of Gisla". The Gisla Cemetery is located in Gisla, in Whitton Township, an area primarily settled by Hebridean Scots from the Isle of Lewis, Scotland in the 1830s. The cemetery was probably first established around 1858. In 1968, the organization became incorporated and officially changed its name to Gisla Cemetery Inc. in order to raise funds more effectively for the maintenance of the cemetery. It is managed by a board of directors. In 1995, the Gisla Cemetery was designated as a 'site du patrimoine' by Quebec's Ministère de la Culture, des Communications et de la Condition féminine.
Among the burials at the Gisla Cemetery is that of the infamous 'Megantic Outlaw', Donald Morrison.
The records of the Gisla Cemetery were maintained by various members of the same family until 2010, when they were transferred to Wayne Mouland and subsequently donated to the ETRC. Documents were added in 2011 after they were discovered in a safety deposit box.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the organization, financial resources, funding activities and cemetery lots of Gisla Cemetery Inc. from 1877 to 1996. It consists of minutes, financial statements, a letters patent, a history, a newsletter, cemetery plans, correspondence, and documents pertaining to its designation as a historical site. The fonds consists of the following files: History and Letters Patent (1964, 1968, 1996), Minutes (1895-1946, 1970-1987), Correspondence (1971-1995), Financial statements (1970-1983), Funding (1970-1980), Newsletter (1977), Cemetery lots and plans ([197-?]-1979) and Immoveable Property (1877, 1913, 1925, 1967).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were donated in 2010 by Gisla Cemetery Inc.
Most of the documents are in English, a few are in French.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016