Fonds BCHS206 - George Bonnallie fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

George Bonnallie fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA BCHS BCHS206

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1811-1892 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6 textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

George Bonnallie's ancestors were French Huguenots who left France for Scotland during the Spanish Inquisition 1500-1600 which persecuted non Catholics.

Lake Bonnallie, now called Lake Stukely, was named for George when he bought land, Range 18, Lot 2, from the British American Land Company in Orford Township, County fo Sherbrooke. His holdings are noted on the Walling Map of 1863- They show a grist mill, a saw mill and a tenant's house. Foundations of these buildings can still be found along the old post road. Later he purchased more lots in 1849.

Land was divided into sections of which one out of seven was a Crown Land to be used for the support of the Church of England, the official church. Rents from the settlers (squatters) on these properties were collected and paid to the Bishop. Many of the "tenants" barely made a living and were seldom able to pay anything.

Bishop Jehosaphat Mountain of Quebec, who travelled widely over his diocese through countless difficulties, decided to sell certain Crown Lands in Orford Township and the adjacent area. He appointed George Bonnallie as his agent in the collecting of rents and sale of the lands. The letters written to Bishop Mountain by George Bonnallie date from 1850-1856. The originals are in the Archives of Ottawa, Ontario. Copies can be seen at Brome Historical Society, Knowlton, Quebec, and at Bishop's University in Quebec.

The far-sighted Bishop used the Monies thus acquired to found Bishop's University.

There are several deeds of sale of land bought by George. Originals can be seen at Le Bureau D'enregistrement in Sherbrooke. The earliest is dated 1847-1848. The last one is dated 1865 and is the transfer of property to his wife, Julia.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains primary and secondary source information regarding George Bonnallie as well as Lake Bonnallie, including correspondence. The fonds contains the following series: Correspondence (1849-1857).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No more accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

15 avril, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres