Fonds F033 - Fonds Belding-Corticelli

Belding-Corticelli Diamond Jubilee, 1878-1938 Belding-Corticelli, Coaticook Belding-Corticelli Diamond Jubilee, 1878-1938

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fonds Belding-Corticelli

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA SHC F033

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1945-2001 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 8 cm of textual records
  • 44 photographs
  • 10 artefacts: braid samples

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1898-2004)

Administrative history

The Belding-Corticelli factory in Coaticook had its beginnings with John Thorton and Edwin F. Tomkins in 1883 when they purchased the weaving equipment from the Coaticook Cotton Company. This company, called Cascade Narrow Fabric, was purchased by Corticelli Silk Company in 1898, and factory was expanded with the construction of a second building adjoining the original structure. With the merger between Belding Paul & Company and the Corticelli Silk Co., it became the Belding Corticelli Ltd in 1915 or 1919. With the expansion of its facilities and equipment, Belding Corticelli employed 200 to 300 workers from early 1900s into the latter half of the century. The factory added a second building to its original property on Child Street in 1946 when it purchased the A.O. Norton building on Cutting Street. For many years, the factory primarily manufactured braid (also known as woven tapes), elastics, laces, and cotton cord. Belding Corticelli Ltd closed its doors in 2004, stating that it was no longer able to compete with the expanding availability of Chinese-manufactured products.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds illustrates the operations, personnel, municipal relations, and the properties of the Belding-Corticelli factories in Coaticook from 1945 to 2001. It consists largely of correspondence, photographs, and collective agreements. The fonds is composed of the following series: Personnel, Correspondence, Photographs, Production, and History.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The majority of the collection was received from an unknown donor. Additional material was donated by Martial Martineau and Sandra Samson Pelletier.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • French

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres