Title and statement of responsibility area
Fonds Elmwood Cemetery Inc. fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Formerly known as the Elmwood Cemetery Company.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Elmwood Sherbrooke Inc.
Physical description area
0.44 l.m. of textual records. - 1 photograph : col. - 13 plans. - 1 disquette
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Elmwood Sherbrooke Incorporated is a private non-profit non-denominational cemetery that is managed by a board of directors. It has been a registered charity since 1983. The organization prides itself on a system of perpetual care for graves, which guarantees that no graves are reused or abandoned. Elmwood also maintains a searchable grave index which is regularly updated and accessible on their website.
The history of Elmwood Sherbrooke Incorporated dates back to 1849 with the purchase of land for the Union Cemetery, a burial ground for Protestant and Congregational communities. Member of Parliament, Samuel Brooks, was the first person to be buried in this cemetery.
In the 1890s, concern began to grow over the lack of maintenance and misuse of the Union Cemetery, which launched a movement amongst the Trustees of Congregational Church to purchase land for a new burial ground, and the Elmwood Cemetery Incorporated was formed. The money was raised via the issuing of bonds valued at one hundred dollars each, with a total of 4400$ being raised for the purchase of land on Hyatt Street. In March 1890, records indicate that John Woodward was the first to be buried at Elmwood Cemetery. In the summer of that year, the Lord Bishop of Quebec consecrated the land for burials.
By 1907, Trustees of the Congregational Church began to discuss moving those buried in Union to the Elmwood Cemetery, in order to sell the land for commercial use. At this point, it was estimated that there were 1500 burials in the Union Cemetery and the cost for moving them would be 13,200$. However, it was only in 1918 that the final decision to move the burials was made, with a total of 895 bodies and 116 headstones being transferred to Elmwood Cemetery at a total cost of 21,096.15$. The cemetery has since erected a marker to commemorate the transfer of remains.
In 1910, as the Elmwood Cemetery became the main place of burial for Sherbrooke’s Protestant and Congregational Communities, the Trustees decided to purchase an adjacent piece of land. A ravine initially divided these two portions, however, in 1916 a bridge was built to connect the different sections.
Scope and content
The fonds contains information on the operation and management of Elmwood Cemetery Inc. in Sherbrooke from 1890 to 2018. It consists primarily of correspondence, minutes, financial statements, ledgers, and plans. The fonds is comprised of the following series: History and constituent documents (1890-1923, 1978-2018), Administration (1890-2005), Cemetery management (1890-2005), Legislation (, 1960-1966, 2004).
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated by Elmwood Cemetery Inc. in 2020.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Most of the documents are in English, a few are in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Some documents torn and brittle.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description