Fonds UC070 - East Farnham United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

East Farnham United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper:

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ETRC UC070

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1853-1992 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0,25 m of textual records. - 2 drawings.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

East Farnham United Church, initially called East Farnham Union Church, was organized around 1843. It was used by Free Will Baptists, Canadian Wesleyan New Connexion Methodists, and Anglicans until 1867 and by the Baptists, the Methodists, and the Congregationalists until 1925. When the United Church of Canada was founded in 1925, amalgamating the Methodists, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches, the East Farnham Union Church decided to join the Union. Although regular church services have been discontinued, a special service is still held in the church building once a year. East Farnham United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains source material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, the Church's history, and the activities of Church organizations and societies from 1853 to 1992. It consists mainly of minutes, legal documents, an insurance policy, financial records, annual reports, an historical sketch, press clippings and drawings. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1897-1927, 1955-1983), Legal (1876, 1968-1975), Buildings and Property (1853, 1899-1956), Finances (1919-1927, 1947-1987), Historical (1990), Organizations (1889-1992), and Prints, Paintings, Drawings (1981).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Researchers may also consult Cowansville Area Pastoral charge fonds (UC083) and Emmanuel United Church (Cowansville) fonds (UC031).

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

1 février, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres