Title and statement of responsibility area
Dominion Lime Company fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA ETRC P227
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1875-1994, 2018 (Creation)
Physical description area
0.76 l.m. of textual records, 55 plans, 25 photographs : col. (polaroid).
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dominion Lime Company was founded by three citizens of Sherbrooke — William Bullock Ives, Francis P. Buck, and James R. Woodward, along with one Montrealer — William Angus, May 18, 1887, its first meeting taking place June 28 of that year. Financing for the Company came primarily from the sale of shares, of which, at only its second meeting (June 30, 1887), $30,000 worth had already been sold. The Company held annual general meetings of shareholders as well as more frequent (ranging from monthly to biannual) meetings of the Board of Directors. Directors were elected annually at the General Annual Meetings of Shareholders. The executive roles filled by shareholders were those of President, Vice President, Treasurer, General Manager, Secretary, and occasionally assistants to some of these positions. In 1888, it was moved that an Executive Committee also be formed as a subgroup of the Board of Directors, composed of the President, Vice-President, and the Treasurer. From its incorporation, meetings of the Dominion Lime Company were often held in Sherbrooke, and by 1890 its head office was also located there.
The Company bought land in Dudswell (Wolfe County) for the mining and transformation of limestone into various products, beginning in 1887 with lots 13 and 14 of range 6, and continuing to accumulate mining properties in the following decades. By 1943 the Company owned and held mining rights to hundreds of acres of land in the Township of Dudswell and the Municipality of Marbleton. Dominion Lime was also important to the development of railroads in the Eastern Townships: at its incorporation, it held the rights to extend railways from the main Quebec Central Railway line to Dudswell, and from Dudswell to meet the Grand Trunk Railway in the counties of Richmond or Arthabaska. The construction of these railways was subsidized by the Dominion Government.
On April 2, 1890, the Dominion Lime Company amalgamated with the Dudswell Lime and Marble Company under the original name of Dominion Lime Company. In 1937, the Company was purchased by the Brompton Pulp and Paper Company Limited for $157,500 and the repayment of all debts, and the Dominion Lime Company became Dominion Lime Limited. In 1977 it changed again to Domlim Inc. The company was acquired by Graybec Inc. in 1980s, which continues to operate the site today.
Scope and content
The fonds contains primary source information on the Dominion Lime Company in the Haut-Saint-Francois region (especially Dudswell) from 1875 to 1994, and in 2018. It consists largely of minutes, general financial ledgers, registers of shares and dividends, agreements, contracts, transfers, trademark documentation (certifications and renewals), correspondence, land surveys, lists of landholdings, a map, deeds of sale, leases, plans of property and machinery, inventories and production reports. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Administration and Management (1887-1896, 1923-1937, 1966, 1968), Financial Resources ([1890-1937?], 1966-1985), Legal Affairs (1875-[1907?], 1932-1975, 1990-1994), Buildings and Property ([1887-1970?]), Production (1944, 1975-1980).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Most of the documents are in English, some in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
The fonds was processed and described by Jazmine Aldrich, archival technician, in 2018 courtesy of funding received from Canadian Heritage.