Fonds P007 - Denison Mills Women's Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Denison Mills Women's Institute fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper:

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    CA ETRC P007

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1923-1991 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0,2 m of textual records. - 17 photographs.

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1923-1991)

    Administrative history

    The Denison Mills Women's Institute was founded in 1923. Like the other Women's Institutes of Canada, whose motto is 'For Home and Country', this one was concerned with family life in rural regions. It was a member of the Richmond County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Delegates attended the annual meetings of these organizations. The Denison Mills Women's Institute also worked jointly organizing activities with Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. Locally, an elected board of directors worked with various committees (Agriculture, Family Economy, Education, Citizenship, Health and Welfare, Publicity) to organize activities and monthly meetings. The Denison Mills Women's Institute first Board of Directors decided in 1923 that the money raised by their organization would be used to build and maintain a community hall. Only four years later, in 1927, the hall was opened for use. The Women's Institute organized and was involved in many other activities over the years: public lectures; horticultural competitions; school contests and fairs; and fund raising (through bake sales, card parties, charity sales, and draws) for the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and many other humanitarian organizations. In 1991, the Denison Mills Women's Institute was disbanded.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    The fonds contains source material on the activities and organization of the Denison Mills Women's Institute from 1923 to 1991 and is also of value as a source of information on some other Richmond County Women's Institutes. It is comprised of the following series: History ([1943?]-[1972?]), Minutes (1923-1991), Financial and Accounting Records (1923-1952), Annual Reports (1959-1974), Programming ([1943?]-[1972?]), Members ([194-?]-1973), Correspondence ([1967?]-[1978?]), Press Clippings ([196-?]-1983), Other Women's Institutes (1959-1975), and Miscellaneous Documents ([195-?]-1978).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Researchers can also consult the following fonds: Belvidere Women's Institute (P003), Brompton Road Women's Institute (P008), Lennoxville Women's Institute (P025), and Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes (P027).

        Related materials

        Accruals

        No more accruals are expected.

        General note

        Title based on contents of fonds.
        The documents were donated in 1994 by Margaret Stalker, the Denison Mills Women's Institute's last president.
        The documents are in English.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        28 janvier, 2016

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area