Title and statement of responsibility area
Child Welfare Clinic of Sherbrooke fonds
General material designation
Child Welfare Association of District of St. Francis.
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC P151
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,15 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Child Welfare Clinic of Sherbrooke was formed on January 26, 1920 during a meeting of representatives from the Canadian Patriotic fund, which was the Sherbrooke Branch of the Red Cross, but was not incorporated until 1923. When first established, the members described the association's purpose as to provide a free clinic for children of ex-soldiers, soldiers, ex-sailors, sailors, and parents too poor to provide medical care. Later on, they expanded their mandate to give full medical, surgical, and hospital service to the very poor of the city of Sherbrooke and the Eastern Townships. In the beginning, the Child Welfare Clinic held weekly clinics in Sherbrooke where parents could bring their children to receive care, which included glasses, dentistry, and operations. As the needs of those in the region changed, the organization ended the weekly clinics in favour of having needy children sent to them by school nurses. By the 1960s and 1970s, much of their efforts had been put into organising large dental clinics in the summer for different regions and supplying milk and vitamins to children through the schools. The Child Welfare Clinic was dissolved in 1992.
As a charitable organization, the Child Welfare Clinic was funded by donations, members' fees, and fundraising activities. Their activities were also sponsored by other groups, such as the Beta Sigma Phi and the Junior Red Cross. Beyond funding their own activities, the Child Welfare Clinic also made donations to other activities and organizations, such as the YMCA, to benefit local, disadvantaged children.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the administrative and charitable activities of the Child Welfare Clinic of Sherbrooke from 1920 to 1989. It consists mainly of minutes, correspondence, a charter, financial statements, reports, and press clippings. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Administration (1920-1974), Financial Resources (1924-1980), Activities (-1989), and Public Relations ([1946?]-[1964?]).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were donated by Marguerite Cotton in 2004.
Most of the documents are in English, some in French.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata