Title and statement of responsibility area
Charles Stewart fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC P065
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,02 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Charles Stewart was born in Scotland on 13 April 1775. He studied at All Souls College, Corpus Christi College, and Oxford, obtaining a B.A. in 1795 and an M.A. in 1799. Oxford also awarded him the honorary degree of D.D. in 1816. Stewart was ordained a deacon in the United Church of England and Ireland in 1798 and a priest in 1799. From 1798 and 1807, he was the rector of the parish of Orton. In 1807, he came to Canada as a missionary, working in the County of Saint-Armand, Quebec until 1815, when he returned to England. He came back to Canada in 1817, however, continuing his missionary work in Charleston in the Eastern Townships from 1817 to 1819. The first travelling missionary in the Townships, from 1819 to 1825 Stewart worked in Ontario and Quebec (Diocese of Quebec) for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG). In 1826, he was consecrated Bishop of the Diocese and named to the Executive Council of Lower Canada. Reverend George Jehoshaphat Mountain succeeded to him as Bishop in 1836, and he returned to England, where he died the following year.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the activities of Charles Stewart from 1815 to 1829, a time span that covers his work in England and Charleston (Hatley, Quebec), and for the SPG and part of his tenure as Bishop of the Diocese of Quebec. It consists of transcripts made by the Reverend James Reid, pastor of Trinity Church in Frelighsburg, in 1850 of ninety-one letters (ninety of which were written between 1815 and 1829) from Stewart to Reid. The transcripts bear comments made by the transcriber.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original letters are kept in the Quebec Diocesan Archives, also housed at Bishop's University.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Quebec Diocesan Archives, which hold documents related to Charles Stewart.
Researchers may also consult the Louis-Philippe Demers Collection (P030), which includes two photographs of a monument erected to the memory of Charles Stewart in Charleston.
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was donated in 1940 by Miss A.F.W. Davidson, a descendant of the Reverend James Burrow Davidson, who succeeded Reverend James Reid in the parish of Saint-Armand.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016