Title and statement of responsibility area
Bury United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.48 m of textual records. - 5 photographs : col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bury United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organised around 1863. A first church was built between 1863 and 1872 in the town of Robinson, now known as Bury. By 1896, this church had outlived its capacity and another church was built and dedicated in 1898. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Bury Methodist Church decided to join the Union. The MacKenzie Chapel at Gould Station, built in 1910 but no longer used as a place of worship, was purchased, moved and annexed to the church in 1958. Bury United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Board of Trustees, the Official Board, the Board of Stewards, and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church, such as the United Church Women (previously called the Ladies' Aid Society and the Woman's Association) and the Women's Missionary Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material mainly on the Church's women's organizations but also includes some documents on Church management for the Bury United Church from 1868 to 1992. Additionally, it contains some information on the East Angus, Bishopton, Bury Pastoral Charge from 1957 to 1984 and on the Bury Cemetery Company from 1977 to 1979. Among the photographs are Bury United Church and Brookbury United Church. It consists of minutes, annual reports, registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials, and, account books. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1872-1984), Buildings and Property ([186-?]-1984), Financial Resources (1977), Annual Reports (1967-1989), Orders of service (1979) Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1868-1902, [193-?]), Membership (1952-1974), Historical (1968), Organizations (1898-1988), Photographs (1991-[1992?]), and Press Clippings (1932-1992).
Immediate source of acquisition
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church in Canada. A second accession was transferred to the Archives in 1997.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The documents are in English.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The register of baptisms, marriages and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may consult the Bishopton United Church fonds which includes information related to Bury United Church Women (UC063/015.02.02/002).
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016