Bury United Church (Bury, Que.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Bury United Church (Bury, Que.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Bury United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organised around 1863. A first church was built between 1863 and 1872 in the town of Robinson, now known as Bury. By 1896, this church had outlived its capacity and another church was built and dedicated in 1898. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Bury Methodist Church decided to join the Union. The MacKenzie Chapel at Gould Station, built in 1910 but no longer used as a place of worship, was purchased, moved and annexed to the church in 1958. Bury United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Board of Trustees, the Official Board, the Board of Stewards, and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church, such as the United Church Women (previously called the Ladies' Aid Society and the Woman's Association) and the Women's Missionary Society.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places