Title and statement of responsibility area
Brigham United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC079
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,62 m of textual records. - 1 photograph. - 3 artefacts.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Brigham United Church, initially a congregationalist church, began meeting unofficially in 1871 (served by the Congregationalist minister from Cowansville). In 1872, Erastus Brigham, the founder of of the town of Brigham built a church on his own land as a gift to the community. The Brigham Congregationlist Church was formally organized in 1873 with 11 members. The congregation continued to be served by the minister from Cowansville until 1888, when church membership had risen high enough to warrant having their own minister. Because of this, all baptisms, marriages and burials of Brigham Congregationalist Church prior to 1888 were recorded in Cowansville's Congregationalist Church register. For nearly 30 years the church was served by a succession of student ministers from Montreal. In 1925, when the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian churches came together to form the United Church of Canada, Brigham Congregationalist Church decided to join the union. The Brigham Congregationalist Church had become the Brigham United Church. In 1937, the Farnham Centre United Church was destroyed by fire; instead of rebuilding, the members of this congregation decided to join the Brigham United Church. From 1925 to 1968, Brigham United Church was part of a two-point charge with Farnham's Grace United Church. In 1968, it then joined with Grace United Church, Cowansville's Emmanual United Church and East Farnham United Church, to become part of a four-point charge known as the Cowansville Area Pastoral Charge. In 1998, the church building was sold to the Muncipality of Brigham to be used as a cultural centre. It was subsequently sold again to a private party and has since been renovated into a home. Brigham United is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa conference of the United Church of Canada. Over the years the church has been governed by a board of trustees, an official board, a board of stewards, a board of Session and a board of the congregation in co-operation with the church organizations (women's groups) and committees.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on church management, its members, and its women's organizations from 1867 to 1998. It consists of minute books, financial documents, correspondence, registers of baptism, marriages and burials and guest books. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1867-1997), Buildings and Property ([after 1871]-1998), Financial (1922-1994), Guest Books (1958-1992), Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (1888-1983), Funds (1964-1974), Historical (1990), Organizations (1907-1992), Photographs ([19-]), and Miscellaneous ([19--?]).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult Emmanuel United Church (Cowansville) fonds (UC031), and the Cowansville Area Pastoral charge fonds (UC083).
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016