Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
George Bonnallie's ancestors were French Huguenots who left France for Scotland during the Spanish Inquisition 1500-1600 which persecuted non Catholics.
Lake Bonnallie, now called Lake Stukely, was named for George when he bought land, Range 18, Lot 2, from the British American Land Company in Orford Township, County fo Sherbrooke. His holdings are noted on the Walling Map of 1863- They show a grist mill, a saw mill and a tenant's house. Foundations of these buildings can still be found along the old post road. Later he purchased more lots in 1849.
Land was divided into sections of which one out of seven was a Crown Land to be used for the support of the Church of England, the official church. Rents from the settlers (squatters) on these properties were collected and paid to the Bishop. Many of the "tenants" barely made a living and were seldom able to pay anything.
Bishop Jehosaphat Mountain of Quebec, who travelled widely over his diocese through countless difficulties, decided to sell certain Crown Lands in Orford Township and the adjacent area. He appointed George Bonnallie as his agent in the collecting of rents and sale of the lands. The letters written to Bishop Mountain by George Bonnallie date from 1850-1856. The originals are in the Archives of Ottawa, Ontario. Copies can be seen at Brome Historical Society, Knowlton, Quebec, and at Bishop's University in Quebec.
The far-sighted Bishop used the Monies thus acquired to found Bishop's University.
There are several deeds of sale of land bought by George. Originals can be seen at Le Bureau D'enregistrement in Sherbrooke. The earliest is dated 1847-1848. The last one is dated 1865 and is the transfer of property to his wife, Julia.