Title and statement of responsibility area
Bishopton United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,24 m of textual records. - 6 photographs : col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bishopton United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized around 1860 in the area of Dudswell. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, Bishopton Methodist Church decided to join the Union. From 1942 to 1956, it belonged to the East Angus-Bishopton Pastoral Charge. Since 1965, Bishopton United Church is part of the East Angus-Bishopton-Bury Pastoral Charge. Bishopton United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Board of Stewards and the Congregation in cooperation with the women's organizations within the Church, such as the Sunshine Society and the United Church Women.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source of material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, and the Church's organizations from 1860 to 1993. It also provides information on the East Angus-Bishopton-Bury Pastoral Charge from 1974 to 1986. It consists of minutes, account books, a register of baptisms, marriages, and burials, legal documents, an order of service, press clippings, photographs, and a souvenir Sunday School Christmas programme. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1956-1986), Buildings and Property (1947, 1976), Financial Resources (1941-1986), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1860-1924, 1967), Orders of Service (1974), Funds (1972-1976), Membership (1919-1976), Historical (1969-1974), Organizations (1916-1992), Photographs (1991-1993).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The register of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult Trinity United Church (Cookshire) fonds (UC030).
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. An additional item as donated by Karen Thorneloe in 2015.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016