Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library (Lennoxville, Que.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library, a private non-profit library, began in 1912 as the Lennoxville Library Association. It established a library and reading room which was located on the ground floor of Town Hall. Over time the collection and numbers of users grew to the point that the facilities were too small. Thus in 1970, the Town of Lennoxville acquired the old post office on the corner of Queen and College Streets. After a few renovations, the library took up residence and when it was incorporated in 1993 the name was changed to Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library. It is an incorporated registered charity.
In addition to the use and maintenance of the Ville de Sherbrooke's building, the Library receives major financial support for its operations from the Ville de Sherbrooke. All residents of Sherbrooke have free membership in the library. Volunteers significantly assist the staff to assure the functioning of the Library.
The Library is organized under a Board of Administrators, with the first President having been Dr. A. E. Robertson (1912). The Executive Committee of the Board has jurisdiction over all other Committees. It deals with the routine operation of the Library, including hiring and evaluating paid staff, specifying the duties of the staff and their level of remuneration and any other matters as directed by the Board. The Library administration also includes an English and a separate French committee to select and purchase necessary library materials (books, periodicals, audiobooks, etc.).
The Library not only makes books available to the community but also hosts activities throughout the year. Some of these activities consist of Books and Brown Bags (including an English and a French group), Children's Activities (such as Author Visits, Reading Circles and Arts & Crafts), and Canada Reads. They also offer a Books on Wheels service to the community members that are unable to visit the Library. The Library celebrated its centennial in 2012, hosting various activities at the Library and throughout the community.
The Library is a member of the Association des bibliothèques publiques de l'Estrie (ABIPE) which represents the interests of public libraries with the different levels of government and organizations and raises awareness of the importance of public libraries within communities. Since 2014, the Library's books and other material are catalogued with the Reseau Biblio de l'Estrie, which allows the Library to offer an interlibrary loan service with access to the collections of over 40 libraries in the region.