Fonds P207 - Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA E001 P207

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1900]-1918, 1937-2016 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.246 m of textual records; 33 photographs: 31 col., 2 b&w; 2 CDs: photographs, col.; 3 artefacts: 1 t-shirt, 1 refrigerator magnet, 1 reflector light; 6 drawings; 16 posters.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library, a private non-profit library, began in 1912 as the Lennoxville Library Association. It established a library and reading room which was located on the ground floor of Town Hall. Over time the collection and numbers of users grew to the point that the facilities were too small. Thus in 1970, the Town of Lennoxville acquired the old post office on the corner of Queen and College Streets. After a few renovations, the library took up residence and when it was incorporated in 1993 the name was changed to Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library. It is an incorporated registered charity.

In addition to the use and maintenance of the Ville de Sherbrooke's building, the Library receives major financial support for its operations from the Ville de Sherbrooke. All residents of Sherbrooke have free membership in the library. Volunteers significantly assist the staff to assure the functioning of the Library.

The Library is organized under a Board of Administrators, with the first President having been Dr. A. E. Robertson (1912). The Executive Committee of the Board has jurisdiction over all other Committees. It deals with the routine operation of the Library, including hiring and evaluating paid staff, specifying the duties of the staff and their level of remuneration and any other matters as directed by the Board. The Library administration also includes an English and a separate French committee to select and purchase necessary library materials (books, periodicals, audiobooks, etc.).

The Library not only makes books available to the community but also hosts activities throughout the year. Some of these activities consist of Books and Brown Bags (including an English and a French group), Children's Activities (such as Author Visits, Reading Circles and Arts & Crafts), and Canada Reads. They also offer a Books on Wheels service to the community members that are unable to visit the Library. The Library celebrated its centennial in 2012, hosting various activities at the Library and throughout the community.

The Library is a member of the Association des bibliothèques publiques de l'Estrie (ABIPE) which represents the interests of public libraries with the different levels of government and organizations and raises awareness of the importance of public libraries within communities. Since 2014, the Library's books and other material are catalogued with the Reseau Biblio de l'Estrie, which allows the Library to offer an interlibrary loan service with access to the collections of over 40 libraries in the region.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains primary source material on organization, activities, and finances for the Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library from the 1950s to 2016. It consists of meeting minutes, reports, budgets, collections, accession ledgers, activities, membership lists, correspondence and graphic material. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Administration ([ca. 1900]-1918, 1937-2013), Human Resources ([1980?]-2013), Financial Resources (1959-2016), Immoveable and Moveable Property ([195-?]-2012), Public Relations ([198-?]-2016), Membership ([198-?]-2012) and 100th Anniversary (2010-2012).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The following files are restricted: P207/002.03 Employee Files and Work Schedules.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Title based on contents of fonds.
The fonds was donated in 2014 by the Bibliothèque Lennoxville Library.
Most of the documents are in English, some in French.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

28 janvier, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres