Title and statement of responsibility area
Austin United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
CA ETRC UC037
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,17 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Austin United Church, also known as the East Bolton United Church, was initially of Methodist denomination. It was probably organized around 1855 as part of the East Bolton Circuit, which included Bolton Centre. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the East Bolton Circuit joined the Union and was later renamed East Bolton United Church, and then Austin United Church. During the 1960s, Austin United Church was a part of the Mansonville-Austin Pastoral Charge. In 1968, the church was sold to the Butters Memorial Hospital. In 1974, the church building was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. McMaster and moved on their farm. Austin United Church was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The church was governed by the Board of Trustees, the Official Board, and the Congregation in cooperation with the organizations within the Church, such as the Women's Organizations.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material mostly on the women's organizations of Austin United Church from the 1850s to 1992. It also provides partial information on the Church management, the congregation's affairs, and the Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connexion Church at Bolton. It consists mainly of account books, registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials, legal documents, and correspondence. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1966-1980), Buildings and Property (1858-1979), Financial Resources (1962-1977), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials ([185-?]-1963), Historical (1974-1992), and Organizations (1915-1966).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist. The file Certificate of Adoption (UC037/008/003) is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Mansonville United Church fonds (UC053).
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016